For lesson 4, we will explore the concepts of mass and volume. We will briefly discuss the ChemCatalyst from the Lesson 4 PowerPoint and students will be reintroduced to the metric system. To help reinforce the learning, we will embrace the power that is Pete Hendley:
We will discuss common metric system prefixes and learn the difference between milli- (1/1000), centi- (1/100), and kilo- (1000) as applied to the base units of meter, liter, and gram. For the remainder of the lesson, students will work with a partner to complete Activity A for both the Triple Beam Balance and Measuring Volume Gizmos on the Explore Learning website.
Instructions on how to set up a Gizmo account:
- Go to https://www.explorelearning.com/
- Click the Login/Enroll button (upper right).
- Enter the class code (written on the white board).
- Click the Enroll in Class button.
- Choose “I need to create…” option.
- Enter your First and Last name (not email!)
- Use your student numer (s-#######) as your username.
- Enter birthdate as password (MM/DD/YYYY)
- Click “Submit”
- Launch the Triple Beam Balance Gizmo
- Complete the Student Exploration worksheet
Students who complete Activity A of both Gizmos should continue working on Activity B of the Measuring Volume Gizmo.
Bonus credit opportunity! Put your triple-beam balance skills to the test and head to Nurse Jessica’s office and measure your weight on the clinic scale. Your data stays private and you earn a bonus point with her verification of you successfully achieving balance.